People often ask me for more information about the network design and implementation for tech•ed and APC.
I finished off the physical design for the MDF and IDFs a while ago and thought I would take the time to post these in case you wanted to build your own 3000 person corporate conference at home. I am only covering off the network side of things below – there is a massive HP + Microsoft private cloud solution going in at the event that will need post(s) in its own right.
In terms of fast Internets
- 1000 mbps of Internet connectivity provided by Telstra Internet Direct. This is a high performance e-line service back to Telstra Internet Direct in the Charlotte St exchange (i.e. it is a wholesale/service-provider quality service, uncontended back to their core).
- An additional 500 mbps of Internet connectivity from Over The Wire as a redundancy option.
- BGP routing under our own AS9984 to make the best use of the combined link.
- IPv4 and IPv6.
In terms of WiFi
- Cisco 5508 WLC
- 50 x Cisco Aironet 1252 access points
- Each AP has 2 x radio interfaces (2.4 and 5GHz) for a total of 100 radios supporting 802.11a, b, g, and n
In terms of physical infrastructure
- 2 x Brocade CER units for core routing
- 2 gbps LACP core trunking between the routers, core switches and wireless LAN controller
- 1 gbps distribution network
- 77 switches deploying 2000+ ports of connectivity
IDF Physical Design
MDF Physical Design
Also available as a PDF export of the original VSD:
If you have any questions then post them below.